As adults, we generally have a harder time getting a good nights rest… because KIDS.
However, there are other factors in play. Blue light.
This blue light phenomenon has actually disrupted our sleep in a number of ways.
Wait… what is blue light exactly?
Blue light details:
Blue light is on the lower end of the spectrum of light. This means that the wavelengths are shorter and therefore vibrate faster. Blue light is naturally occurring by emission from the sun- so why is it bad?
Blue light is also emitted by every powered device that is in your home. From TV’s, to light bulbs, to your mobile device, there is a lot of blue light floating around your space at night.
What does that mean?
- Headaches and migraines: Headaches are common with eye strain. It’s no surprise for blue light exposure to produce eye strain along with a headache. Migraines are similar to headaches but can be more severe, even debilitating.
- Sleep issues: Blue light has been proven to delay the production of natural melatonin.
- NASA has gone so far as to implement low level blue LED bulbs on the International Space Station, to help astronauts sleep in space, by encouraging the production of melatonin. Astronauts are prone to circadian disruption, with multiple sunrise and sunsets per day.
- Depression: There is some research that shows a correlation between blue light exposure and depression.
- Cancer: Harvard researchers have linked exposure to blue light, especially in the night time, to a variety of cancers, including breast and prostate cancer.
- Diabetes and Obesity: A Harvard study followed the health results of a test group. As exposure to light at night was gradually increased, blood sugar levels increased as well – a sign of pre-diabetes.
So what is the solution??
Our partners at SCS LED have formed a solution to all these issues.
They have formed various light products in their catalog that provide ambient light. These products are intended for evening use before bedtime, allowing natural melatonin to reach the photoreceptors in the retina, thereby promoting normal sleep cycles.
There are various options for bringing ambient light into your home that are not only affordable, but easy to install.
The nite-nite light has tremendously helped my youngest daughter relax at story time. With the ease of installation, I’m just sorry I didn’t hear about this product sooner! Check the SCS LED website for details on how you can get your own ambient light products for your home!
Also, new products are rolling out soon, so check back to the site for new products that make great stocking stuffers and gifts.