I still have to function through it. . . survive. . . and keep going as a mom, a friend, a business woman. I don’t have the option to curl up for days in a ball in my bed. I can’t drink myself into oblivion while caring for my little ones. It is not an option for me not to go to work.
As a hopeless romantic and a “most-of-the-time” optimist, I wish I could say that life is always roses, champagne, cupcakes and unicorns. However we all know that this is far from the truth. As moms we are faced daily with unwelcome circumstances; maybe it is with your teen or young adult child struggling through drug addiction, maybe it is with your alcoholic or abusive spouse, maybe it is a diagnosis that your doctor gave you or maybe it is with the length of digits you don’t see on your bank statement. I don’t know exactly what you are facing today but I’m here for you. Like you, I have walked through such a dark season in my life, so very dark.
Some days I’m back in survival mode. I have fought for over 5 years to go from surviving to thriving. The light is breaking through the clouds. There have been victories and yes, some defeats. There have been the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. But each day I choose to take one step forward. If you are facing a horrific, scary and unknown situation in your personal life, will you join me in our battle together and take just one step forward today?
Here is a quick list of some of my favorite Surviving-to-Thriving steps, tips and tricks:
- Call in your tribe. DON’T DO THIS LIFE ALONE!
- Ask for what you need. Open your heart to receive from those who are safe and who truly love you and your children.
- Get as much rest as possible.
- Take care of yourself first. We can’t run on fumes any longer mamas!
- Find a trusted person to share your fears, hurts, worries, desires and dreams with.
- Get outside and sweat it out. If you are currently low on energy, I have loved walks and low-level hikes on my days like that. Involving the kids is a huge plus as this is tension-relieving for them as well!
- Fill your home and your ears with uplifting music.
- Take a hot bath with relaxing and calm-inducing essential oils.
- Explore a new sport or exercise of some kind.
- Purchase a large exercise ball. Pump it up, sit on it (as shown in the photo) and gently bounce up and down an inch or two. This has been a true LIFESAVER for me. It relieves so much tension that is pent up in my body and I usually sleep better as well! (Start with about 15 mins a day divided into two separate times.)
- Enjoy a glass of wine or your favorite cocktail while the sunshine warms your body.
- Ask a family member or trusted friend to take your kiddos so you can get a full, restorative night sleep. Sleep regulates so much in our bodies and brains.
- Write down declarations and promises you want to speak over yourself, your family, your health, your bank account. It feels a little weird at the beginning if you have not done declarations before. But don’t let that fool you. . . this is a very powerful practice.
- Go get some much deserved self-care treatments such as acupuncture, massage, cranial sacral therapy and/or a pedicure.
- Schedule time into your calendar to spend with great, close friends. We are made for community!
Repeat after me: “I am a beautiful, loving, worthy, strong mom and amazing woman. I am not alone. My life is getting brighter and better. This is not the end. My family and I are happy, healthy and we receive abundance and love from those around us. We say yes to a life filled with health, wellness, fun, joy and ever-increasing safe and wonderful opportunities.”
You are not alone. You are loved. You are an amazing mom!!!