Are you looking for some fun and free/inexpensive ways to get your movie fix on with the family?
San Diego offers awesome ways to see new and classic flicks, especially during the summer months!
FREE movie fun!!
- Have an evening of FREE fun for the family under the stars, check out Summer Movies in the Park! Starting May 27th, you can head out to a local park, bring a blanket, snacks and have a great time with the family. The films are presented on a huge pop up screen and start shortly after sunset. There are pre-show activities, so come early, pick a spot and have some fun! You can download the schedule of movie locations and dates on their website.
- Dinner and a movie under the stars? Check out Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens at Liberty Station and catch a free show during their “Stone Late Night Movies” lineup starting August 31st. Every Tuesday, come and set up your chairs and blankets and watch a movie in their gardens. They alternate between adult themed films and family movie nights. The pavilion opens at 5:30 PM to pick a spot, and the films start at 8:30 PM. You can find the movie line up on their Facebook page and events page.
- Movies and more by the lake is another outdoor free event held at Santee Lakes. The show is free but you have to pay $10 for parking. They will have a variety of activities and food trucks prior to the shows starting at 6:00 PM.
Looking for Movies on a BUDGET?
- Relive the nostalgia of a simpler time and check out two of San Diego’s last drive ins! Santee and South San Diego. Pack up the car and the kiddos, bring your lawn chairs and blankets, and come on out. Both theatres showcase new releases at a low cost. Kids four and under are FREE at both locations. Kids ages 5-9 are only $1 in South bay! Check the websites for showtimes and prices.
- Want to catch new movies, in a theatre, any day or night for a discount? With the influx of new fancy theatres with reserved leather reclining seats, some of our local favorites have turned to lower cost options. AMC Palm Promenade, in South San Diego just off the 805 freeway, offers matinee showings starting at $4.49 a person (adults included)!! UltraStar Mission Valley-Hazard Center also offers lower costs and even hosts Parent Movie Mornings & Baby’s Night out!
If you are looking for an inexpensive night at home, REDBOX is an amazing deal! If you sign up for their emails, you will get coupon codes throughout the month for FREE and/or BOGO rentals. Local libraries also lend out DVD’s/Blurays either for free or for a minimal monthly fee.
I hope your summer is filled with cinematic adventures galore!!